Former Lives Revisited

Posted by on Friday, November 2, 2012



I am angry. Music critics everywhere are writing off Ben Gibbard's new solo album because it’s not sad enough. He obviously went through a very high profile divorce, so they expected him to put out a Hawthorne Heights album or something. Maybe he’s happy. Maybe he hated her and is really happy about the divorce. Maybe he’s a good songwriter with a supreme talent for storytelling, and he doesn't limit himself to writing about one thing. Maybe the sadness isn't in the lyrics but in the songs themselves.

Dear music critics: this album contains one of the saddest and greatest lines I have ever heard in a song.

“It’s been a basement of a year, and all I want’s for you to disappear.”

The first time I heard this song, it felt like a punch in the gut. It’s not often that I relate to something so strongly that it hits me like this line did. He takes a common, yet difficult to describe feeling and expresses it in a new and simple way. Anyway, music critics can suck it. This album is sad, and happy, and beautiful. His voice is as incredible as ever. Zach already reviewed the album, and I pretty much agree with whatever he said. 

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.