random thought of the day

Posted by on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Does anyone else remember the awesome video on Arcade Fire's website (neon bible era) of them covering The Clash's classic- The Guns of Brixton? I was listening to Reflektor today and thinking about how their new album seems to be leaning to the currently popular electronic side of music. I also heard it was a double album and I made a connection that might be totally off but it made sense in my mind.

The Clash released an amazingly ambitious triple album in 1980 named Sandinista! which dabbled in a dizzying array of diverse musical styles of the era. So I guess what I'm saying is I have a feeling Reflektor could be to Arcade Fire what Sandinista! was to The Clash. Both bands seem to be at the apex of their careers and instead of playing it safe with the same formula have branched out to reflekt (haha couldn't help myself there) the musical styles of their time.

While Sandinista! definitely has endearing traits, it's not my favorite album from The Clash. I guess it almost branched out too much for me and I must have a short attention span as some of the 20+ minute tracks were just exhausting. I guess I would say I'm a little skeptical of Arcade Fire's new work too. Please don't judge me.

Now on to another tangent which could be totally off base. The first time I watched the music video for Reflektor I couldn't help but think of  mirrors facing one another found in LDS temples. Must have been the lyrics, "It's just a reflection of a reflection of a reflection of a reflection. Will I see you on the other side?" I know I'm totally reaching here but I couldn't help but thinking of it knowing the Butler brothers have LDS ties and haven't shied away from religious themes in previous albums. Anywho, have a great night.

One Comment

  1. It seems to me the song uses religion to convey ideas/feelings about a relationship. Nebulous lyrics ahhh

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.