God Bless Public Radio

Posted by on Sunday, June 8, 2014

We Gibsons are huge proponents of public radio. I don't know how people function without it actually. I hear the important news in-depth and also listen to interviews with people like Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Redford, Conor Oberst, and the creator of Orange is the New Black. Over the years, I have developed friendships in my head with some of my favorite hosts. Audie Cornish, Steve Inskeep, Kai Ryssdal, Lynne Rosetto Kasper, Terry Gross, and last but not least....


Bob Boilen and Robin Hilton. They are my best pals. You might think you know Bob Boilen, but it's probably just Ryan Earl Ward (made famous by the Wires and Waves blog). Anyway, I digress. I heard two great songs on World Cafe this weekend, and I wanted to share them here.

The first song was "Does Someone Have Your Baby Now?" by Mazzy Star. I have not listened to them much in the past, but not for any particular reason other than I am stupid.



The second song was "Start Choppin'" by Dinosaur Jr., another band I have never listened to for no particular reason.


Finally, I want to share "Popular by Design" by the Polyphonic Spree. I did not actually hear this on NPR. I searched for it on my own free will. I was always scared by their costumes because they have a certain cultish vibe, so I never actually listened to them. I am terrified of cults. Even thinking about cults worries me, as if the thought will render me a Kool-Aid drinking fundamentalist worshiper off things. PS is not a cult, though, but no one bothered to tell me that. I know a lot of people who really love them, and Annie Clark, my dream lady-musician, played with them for a long time, but none of that led me to listen to them until yesterday when I was sitting in a bookstore doing homework for 2+ hours.




Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.