"New Partners" (Xtina's Song of the Day)

Posted by on Thursday, July 3, 2014



XM radio is a true blessing. I can listen to the best of the 90s and also hear some great rock and roll. Zach and I drove to some waterfalls yesterday and then went on a 4-mile hike and only brought home one tick. Before we hit the trail, this song came on the radio. I was hit with two reactions: to makeout in the car like a teenager and recline the seat, close my eyes, and listen in solitude. I'm at a crossroads.

The twangy guitars, just enough whiny vocals, the fine straddle between singing and talking, and steady, strong strumming make it a perfect amalgam of Neutral Milk Hotel, Daniel Johnston, Wilco, and Weezer. Palace Music is a Will Oldham project, but I prefer it to Bonnie "Prince" Billy. It makes my heart race and my head float in a way BPB doesn't. Enjoy.


Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.