PHOX (artist of the day)

Posted by on Sunday, July 6, 2014




Wisconsin knows how to produce some bands, let me tell you. That Midwestern state has some soul.

By now, we all know of Eau Claire's Justin Vernon (of Bon Iver fame), but Baraboo, Wisconsin has its own claim to fame with PHOX. PHOX manages to marry the soul rock revival that is so popular right now with tangible emotion and self-conscious lyrics. I love a good dance tune as much as the next reserved introvert (only in my car), but many of those songs lack any depth. 

PHOX's self-titled debut LP is out now, and they are touring all over the country. Someone go see them for me. My favorite song off the album is "Satyr and the Faun," with "1936" as a close second, although I really love them all. The former has a perfect ethereal sound that only enhances Martin's comfortably raspy, yet arching vocals and the latter takes a standard acoustic track and layers it with a banjo, choir-like vocals, and charming lyrics. This album straddles the four corners of pop, r&b, folk, and alternative rock and roll, making it a unique addition to its contemporaries on the alternative charts. The lyrics are self-aware, questioning, and observant. Listen to "Raspberry Seed," another of my favorites, below.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.