Dave Brubeck

Posted by on Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Dave Brubeck photographed by Annie Leibovitz for Vanity Fair 
As many of you may have already heard, jazz legend Dave Brubeck died this morning. I don't typically get very emotional over the death of famous people. I'm generally not a very emotional person. I've been trying not not to cry today while I've been at work. Dave Brubeck holds a very special place in my heart. He's the reason I fell in love with jazz and if you know me, you know I love jazz.
Brubeck was played often in my home growing up and he's the first jazz musician I was really familiar with. And I loved him. It even took me a while to let myself listen to other jazz because I love his work so much. I still even hesitate a little to listen to something else when I could listen to Dave. His compostions are powerful and distinct. He's famous for his unusual time signatures and rhythms. His work has a clear classical influence that really sets him apart from other jazz composers. When you're listening to Brubeck, you know.
He came to Seattle in the Fall of 2007. My first semester of college. I was in Idaho and my dad flew me home just for the night so he and I could go see him. Ramsey Lewis Trio opened. They played the Paramount which is a large theater. Although jazz was made for intimate settings, Dave's performance was incredible. I'll never forget watching this tiny little white-haired man slowly walk on stage, sit at his piano and play jazz as if he were 60 years younger. It was an experience that I'll cherish forever. Dave Brubeck, you've changed my life for the better.

In honor of him, here's a playlist of a few of my Dave Brubeck favorites.


Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.