My Favorite Songs From Movies

Posted by on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Recently Spinner.com posted a blog about influential music in movies. This made me think about music that I've seen in movies that has influenced my own taste in music.

I'm only going to choose three, but these three (oh man, these three) have made such a lasting impression on me and the music I listen to today.

1. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen:  Wayne's World was my favorite movie when I was a kid. I still can't believe my parents let me and my sister watch it, haha, but we did and we loved it. The first time I watched it I had never heard any Queen song besides "We Will Rock You" and "We are The Champions" (I also watched a lot of Mighty Ducks). When I heard Wayne and Garth rock out to "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the Merth Mobile while driving through the streets of Aurora, Illinois, my life was changed forever. Not only was it hilarious, but that song! Man, I loved that song. My sister and I would rewind it and listen to it over and over until we had all the lyrics memorized and could head bang along. It's the first time in my life (that I can remember anyway) that I felt such a deep connection to a song.



2. New Slang - The Shins: The first part of my freshman year of college I had horrible taste in music. Besides Ryan Adams, Ben Folds, and a new found love for The Postal Service, everything else I listened to was complete crap. That crap consisted of John Mayer, Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz...you can probably see a trend here. Luckily my sister is really cool and gave me lots of new (good) music that cured me of my evil ways pretty quickly.

My sister was always talking about the movie Garden State, and kept telling me I needed to watch it. One night I was bored so I finally broke down and rented it. It was the first independent film I'd ever seen. I thought the movie was good, but what really got me was the soundtrack, especially a band called The Shins. In one scene Natalie Portman puts headphones on Zach Braff and tells him the song will change his life. "New Slang" was the song and I'm not sure exactly how Zach Braff felt about it, but it blew me away.

When the movie was over I downloaded every Shins song I could find on Limewire. I burnt them all to a cd and carried it around with me every where I went. It was probably really annoying because anytime I was in a car with someone I would ask them if I could put it on. I was just so excited and wanted to share this amazing thing that I had found.

I couldn't find the actual scene from the movie, but here's the song.


3. These Days - Nico: This one comes from my all time favorite movie, the Royal Tenenbaums. It was also a recommendation from my sister (there's a pattern here). I'm not going to explain how good this one is. The scene is self-explanatory. It's a beautiful song in a wonderful movie.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.