Rancid Punx

Posted by on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I think a lot of the inspiration for this post was drawn from this video out of Rexburg, Idaho. I'm sure it's also because ten years ago was the year my brother and I started listening to punk. Sean started buying and collecting all the Punk-O-Rama CDs and even the DVD which featured some classic music videos such as

and
and
and
That spring we went to a show at an old rest home in Idaho Falls featuring the likes of Fear Before the March of Flames and Anatomy of a Ghost. We went to Warped Tour that summer and I remember all the "true punks" who heckled anyone enjoying sets from bands like The Starting Line (I vividly remember Sean crowd surfing and then getting thrown into the air, doing a front flip and landing on his feet in the center of a circle pit during their set), The Ataris and Simple Plan. I remember the Suicide Machines dividing their crowd for a Braveheart mosh pit battle re-enactment. I remember my friend Matthew getting kicked in the face during Andrew WK's set and letting loose a gatling gun obscenity laced tirade before leaving the show with my Dad (yes, he accompanied us) to see a movie. I remember noticing a 2-person long line to meet Pierre of Simple Plan so I chatted with him for a minute as dudes with liberty spikes walked by and told him to eff himself (proudly wore a Simple Plan t-shirt to school that fall complete with Finch armband and spiked hair). The last sets of the night were Rancid, the Used and AFI. I was in heaven (my only regrets are not seeing Taking Back Sunday and Brand New as they played that day and I didn't yet love them). Thanks for accompanying me down this stretch of memory lane.


Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.