Step (Vampire Weekend)

Posted by on Friday, March 22, 2013

Vampire Weekend announced their new album, Modern Vampires of The City, more than a month ago. When one of my favorite bands announces a new album two things happen: I get really excited and then I get  really nervous. I worry that their new album won't live up to past albums. Mostly I worry that I won't like it. You never like being disappointed by your favorite band.

If the two songs Vampire Weekend put out earlier this week are any indication of how the album as a whole will be, then I have nothing to worry about. Damn! that's all I have to say. "Step" the third track from Vampires hits you like a ton of bricks. It's part hip hop, part something else completely different and amazing than what other musicians are making right now. Lyrically and musically it's my favorite song of this still short year.

The next track "Diane Young" reminds me of what Elvis would be making if he had started his career around 2005. Not to say that this song is a throwback. Musically it's a rock song comparable to something the Black Keys would make, but Ezra Koenig's voice goes low just like the King himself.

Listen to "Step" below. The video is pretty cool too.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.