"love, you are my shelter" (Eisley's Currents by Xtina)

Posted by on Saturday, June 1, 2013



Eisley's last album, The Valley, was the most powerful and passionate music I had heard from them up to that point. Scorn makes great music. The guitars were loud, the singing was loud, and the words themselves were loud. I loved it. I still do. It's a sing-a-long in the car type of album that has joined the ranks of every single Saves the Day album for me. They released their fourth full-length last Tuesday, and it certainly isn't lacking in passion.

However, Currents contains a different type of passion. They aren't angry anymore. Four-fifths of the band had children recently, and the lyrics, rightly so, express worries about change and time and how to keep it all together. Although Eisley could still be described as "dreamy," they have landed on much more solid ground. 

Their talent has grown tremendously, and it shows through their experimentation. Eisley isn't comfortable staying where they are, but they don't forget where they came from either. I can't put my finger on it, but every Eisley album has a certain "Eisley-ness" that no one else has. They have been around for over a decade, and they are still original. 

Stacy and Sherri share most of the singing duties as usual, and Chauntelle contributed a song. "Millstone" is a little bit calmer than the rest of the songs. It reminds me of a folk (or folk-pop?) song in some ways. She has such a sweet voice, and her song is one of my favorites so far. Others include "Currents," "Drink the Water," "Save My Soul," and "The Night Comes."

Sherri pushes herself vocally more on this album, which I really love. You can hear this in "The Night Comes," a song about her struggles with insomnia.

I do miss the anger of the last album because I feel like it added something more concrete to their lyrics. However, I'm glad they are all happy and settled down.

Overall, I am very impressed. They continue to grow, and it's exciting to watch. The three sisters all have other projects in the works, so I'm excited to see what will be next for them.


Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.