Zach's Favorite Music of 2013 (so far)

Posted by on Wednesday, June 12, 2013

That time has come. It's half way through the year and most everyone is making their best music (so far) lists. This was actually my first ever post on the Wires & Waves blog. I feel like this, like most years, has been a really strong year for music.


Favorite Album 
Modern Vampires of The City - Vampire Weekend

This is not only my favorite album of this year so far, but one of the best albums I've heard in a very long time  (click HERE to read my review of the album). It's been over a month since this record was released, and it hasn't lost any of its luster. Today I was mowing my grandma's lawn and got really emotional listening to "Hannah Hunt". This album is great. It might be too early to say but I don't think this one will leave my top spot for the entire year.

Favorite Song
"Sex" - The 1975

Aside from every song from the Vampire Weekend album, this has been my go to song of the year (so far). It's a catchy pop rock song. There's not too much to it, but something about it keeps me coming back to it over and over and over again. Whether I'm working out or driving in the car, this song is enjoyable where ever I am.

Favorite New Band
Night Beds

The first time I heard "Even If We Try" I nearly melted to the floor. Winston Yellen, lead singer of Night Beds, swoons with one of the coolest falsettos since Justin Vernon. The album, Country Sleep, is very reminiscent of early Ryan Adams records. There's a heavy country influence infused with dream like melodies. It's an album I keep coming back to.

Best Comeback 
Justin Timberlake

I don't think I've been more excited for an album release than I was for The 20/20 Experience and it didn't disappoint at all. It had been six years since J.T. had released an album and following up Future, Sex, Love Sounds was no easy task.  The 20/20 Experience, musically, is all over the map. There's the psychedelic "Spaceship Coupe", and the soulful, "That Girl". "Mirrors" is the standout track. It's an ode to his wife and to his grandparents' relationship. It's the most boy bandish song on the album, but don't worry you can listen to it and not feel guilty for liking it. Like it should, this album makes me want to dance and I don't even like to dance. That's saying something.

Biggest Surprise 
The Shouting Matches - Grownass Man

Who knew that Justin Vernon was going to release an album this year, besides Justin Vernon himself? I don't think anyone did. One day out of the blue it just appeared. The Shouting Matches are the blues rock side project of Vernon and other Eau Claire, Wisconsin musicians. It's nothing like Bon Iver. There's no cryptic lyrics. It's straight forward and fun to listen to. By far my biggest surprise of the year so far.

Here's a playlist of the bands and songs mentioned above, plus a few others I really like this year (so far).

2 Comments

  1. Did you know Low are LDS? You probably did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I've been listening to this song a lot

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AslPYSm7jfg

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.