Into It. Over It.'s "Intersections" (an album review)

Posted by on Tuesday, October 15, 2013



I usually listen to NPR on the way to and from school to catch up on world events so I can sound smart to my preschool kids. However, I am tired of hearing about the incompetent government. Also, I bought Into It. Over It.'s Intersections, and I cannot stop listening to it.

This album filled a void in me. I still listen to a good majority of the music I listened to ten years ago, and not just for nostalgic purposes. I really love emotional alternative music (I am trying really hard to avoid the term "emo" here). So, when I heard a magazine article describe Evan Weiss and Into It. Over It. as the "fourth wave" of emo, I had to find out for myself.

I love this album. It is very, very reminiscent of Bayside. In fact, I listened to a Bayside song followed by an IIOI song, and the familiarity was almost uncanny, particularly with the vocals. It is different, though. It draws a lot of influences from bands like the Promise Ring, Jets to Brazil, and Jawbreaker, as well as Armor for Sleep and Further Seems Forever.

This album also reminds me of winter. It feels comforting and familiar and a little bit heavy (not the metal kind of heavy). This album feels like an angry drive home. Maybe you're only getting Weiss' side of the story, but who cares? It feels good to be a little angry and a little sad and also a little bit hopeful.

Some standout tracks include "New North-Side Air," "Spinning Thread, "A Curse Worth Believing" and "Obsessive Compulsive Distraction" (I nearly listed every song, but that would have been excessive. Seriously, though.)

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.