(Album Review) Circa Survive- Violent Waves

Posted by on Monday, August 27, 2012


Let me just say that the drumming on this album is phenomenal. I know; I took drum lessons for six months when I was 13. But seriously, it really takes the stage on a lot of the songs, adding to the intensity or mood of the song. You can hear it right from the album’s beginning, leading us into the rest of the album.

Of course, I have to talk about Geoff Rickly. He sings in “The Lottery,” which is a perfect song. Geoff Rickly was the singer of Thursday, one of my all-time favorites. I have always been a fan of his voice, but this song really brings out certain aspects of it that you don’t necessarily hear with his band. I love how sweet and haunting his voice sounds compared to the raucous music and Green’s high and slightly scratchy vocals.

Another thing I love about this album is how melodic it is. It isn’t that the other Circa albums aren’t melodic, but this one feels especially so. “Brother Song” is really bluesy, which isn’t something we haven't heard on other Circa albums. Also, I am in love with Green’s “Who” on this song.

This whole album makes me want to sway and push like you’re at a Circa show. The songs lift me up from the ground, and I want to move my arms from side to side, swaying. If I could describe one of the places that I feel most at peace, it would be how I feel at a Circa show. This album makes me feel like I am at a Circa show, and that’s how I want to feel all of the time.

There have been a few times when I was listening to the album these past few days when I thought, “This is Circa Survive.” I just feel like they really captured their essence and made it even better. In truth, I get a little nervous every time they put out a new album. I fall so hard for every one that I find it hard to believe that they could make something new that would make me feel that same way. They did it again, though. They will probably continue to do it.

*Please buy their album off of www.circasurvive.com if you can spare the $5. They did everything completely by themselves, and I really want them to do well and to be able to do this again.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.