Not music.

Posted by on Friday, January 4, 2013


I read a lot of great books this year. I feel like I really perfected the art of choosing great books to read. Way to go, Me! The latest best book ever that I read is called The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I read another of his books, Looking for Alaska, when I was in high school, and I loved it. I would have called it one of the best books I read then. 
The Fault in Our Stars has it all. It has love, but it isn’t a cheesy or generic or cliched kind of love. It has a lot of sadness, but it’s the kind of sadness that occurs in normal life. It has weird teenagers, but they are the cool kind of weird. It has a fictional book that I really wanted to read. It has a drunk and disappointing hero. A few days after I read this book, I heard someone in a podcast say, “Never meet your idols.” That’s just the kind of great disappointment that this book contains. 
It makes your heart swell, or whatever cliched phrase you prefer (although a swelling heart sounds pretty dangerous). This book is about cancer, but it isn’t about cancer. I think it’s just about coming out of your shell or getting to a place where you feel a little more confident in yourself. 
Five stars, hear hear, hip hip hooray.



Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.